Work while you study

We received your application

We sent you your offer letter

Pay your deposit and get your CAS

Apply for your visa

Studying in the UK is once in a lifetime opportunity for many students, but being able to work while you study makes the whole experience a whole lot easier!

Finding employment while in the UK, will provide you with some extra cash to explore your study destination, but also valuable work experience

If you are in the UK on a student visa for more than six months, then you will usually be able to work while you are studying. Check the passport sticker on your entry clearance or residence permit – if it says "Work must be authorised" or "Able to work as authorised by the Secretary of State", you are allowed to work during your studies.

If your student visa allows you to work, you can work for up to 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during your holidays. You must not work more than this and if you do so you will be in breach of your visa conditions. You are allowed to do most kinds of work, though Home Office rules do not allow you to run a business, be self-employed, or pursue a career by filling a permanent career vacancy.

Finding part-time work in the UK!

  • Contact the Careers Team at your institution for jobs on-campus and in local businesses.
  • Check localised job listings in newspapers.
  • Browse popular part-time job websites like - Student Jobs, Careers Group London and E4S.
  • Be involved on social network - join job vacancy groups on Facebook, Google and Yahoo and keep yourself updated on latest vacancies.
  • If you are part of a large university keep yourself aware of internal job vacancies in allied departments or faculties within the university.

National Insurance

Everyone who works in the UK must pay National Insurance (NI) contributions. If you have a part-time job offer or can provide evidence that you are actively seeking work you can apply for a NI number. Your National Insurance number (NI No) is a unique personal number that is used to record your National Insurance contributions. Please contact Student Services for further information on how to apply for an NI number once you arrive at HIC. Employees and employers both pay National Insurance contributions, which help to fund contributory benefits, for example, the state pension and jobseeker's allowance.

You will also have to pay income tax if you earn more than a specified personal allowance in any tax year. You can find out more about personal allowances and income tax rates from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.