Before you arrive checklist
Speak with a member of our team
Call Us Now
T: +44 (0) 1707 285 590
We understand that there is so much to organise before you leave for the UK. Check out the useful information below to help you prepare!
- Book your accommodation with HIC or find private accommodation in the town:
When you arrive in Hertfordshire, you will want to settle in quickly to your new home. The best way to do this? Book your accommodation before you arrive in the UK. This means that when you get here, you don’t have to worry about finding somewhere in a hurry. HIC students have access to University of Hertfordshire accommodation.
- Apply for you Visa:
It is imperative that you apply for your visa well in advance of your move to the UK and, as this is an important process, we have a lot of tips for you! To find out more on how to make a successful visa application, read the HIC guide on Visas.
- Book your flight and Airport Transfers:
Once you have received your visa, the next step is to book your flights to the UK! Make sure you check what day your Orientation programme will be to ensure you don’t miss out on any of the great welcome activities organised by HIC’s fantastic student support team. You can also arrange for an airport pick-up to make sure you reach your destination with ease. Simply contact a member of the HIC staff to find out more!
- Make friends with other HIC students:
Why wait until you arrive in Hertfordshire to make friends with your new classmates? Visiting HIC’s Facebook page is a great way to hear more about what is going on with HIC’s current students. It is also a fantastic place to make contacts with other students who will be new to HIC. You could meet your future housemate, best-friend or even boyfriend or girlfriend! Visit https://www.facebook.com/hicstudents/?fref=ts
- Why not check the University Clubs and Societies
you can join on Campus? To make the most of your time at University, get involved with the student activities on campus and enjoy the journey! Check out the Student Union website here.
- Pack your things:
The climate in the UK is moderate- summers can be cool and warm and winters can be mild. Contrary to international assumptions the weather is not always wet and cold in the UK! Most students wear jeans and trainers to lectures. Medium weight clothing such as sweatshirts are appropriate throughout the year. Warmer clothing and footwear is needed for winter, as is an umbrella!
|Summer||June to August||12°C to 25°C|
|Autumn||September to November||7°C to 14°C|
|Winter||December to February||0°C to 8°C|
|Spring||March to May||5°C to 15°C|
Use this checklist when packing:
- Important medical, identification and education records. (Make sure you keep all your documents in your hand luggage as you may require them at the airport)
- Don't forget to bring your original school qualifications.
- Contact numbers and addresses of people back home.
- Laptop and Mobile
- Clothing – appropriate to the season (please see table above)
- Toiletries - toothbrush, toothpase, shampoo, hair brush, etc.
- Minimal bedding for the first week - if you are living on campus (HIC On-Campus Accommodation, bedding will be provided and you will not need this).